Ase Study to examine and explain reasons behind Borders Company failure and the role of management in this failure
) The reason of Borders failures in the first five years
) The role of the management in the company failure
This case study is the culminating experience that has been selected and approved by the university for the Master of Science in Engineering Management.
The case study is designed to allow one to demonstrate the ability to utilize and apply some of the knowledge and skills gained throughout the Master of Science in Engineering Management degree program.
Major categories and possible reasons for explaining Borderas failure:
Failures in the areas of:
_Planning and forecasting
Major factors related to the role of management in Borderas failure:
Failures in the areas of:
_Managing based on the needs and realities of the new era
The writer of the case study can use the following reasons, factors, and issues to explain and elaborate the above categories.
1. FAILURE TO FOCUS ON A SPECIFIC MARKET BECAUSE OF POOR RESEARCH
2. FAILURE TO ADAPT YOUR PRODUCT TO MEET CUSTOMER NEEDS
3. FAILURE TO CARRY OUT DECENT MARKET RESEARCH
4. FAILURE TO TRY AND GROW
5. FAILURE TO GAIN NEW MARKET
6. FAILURE TO CONTROL COSTS RUTHLESSLY
7. FAILURE TO BUILD A TEAM THAT IS COMPATIBLE AND HAS THE SKILLS TO FINANCE, PRODUCE SELL AND MARKET
8. FAILURE TO GAIN NEW MARKETS
9. CASHFLOW PROBLEMS
10. POOR SALES & MARKETING
11. POOR MANAGEMENT AND WAITING TOO LONG BEFORE GETTING ADVICE
12. DIRECTORS AIMING TO FIND NEW MARKETS, BUT NOT MAKING A SINGLE SALE
13. COMPANIES DIVERSIFYING INTO NEW, UNKNOWN AREAS WITHOUT A
14. POOR MANAGEMENT
15. LACK OF GOOD MANAGEMENT
16. BAD MANAGEMENT OF THE CAPITAL AVAILABLE
17. MARKETING PROBLEMS
18. A FAILURE TO PLAN AHEAD, BEYOND THE DAY-TO-DAY RUNNING OF THE BUSINESS
19. MARKETING PROBLEMS
20. BAD FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
21. POOR FORWARD PLANNING.
22. CONTRACT DISPUTES
23. POOR QUALITY OF PRODUCT OR SERVICE
24. BAD LABOR RELATIONS
25. NICHE BUSINESSES THESE SUFFERED FROM NARROW CUSTOMER AND SUPPLIER BASES AND AN INABILITY TO REACT TO CHANGES IN THE MARKET
The case study must start with the table of content, followed by Introduction describing the papers subject and giving background information and figures about the company and its recent failure. Then, it should go over the primary and secondary categories and reasons to answer the two important questions posed in the beginning of this instruction. At the end, the case study must include a concluding part and a reference section (Cited Page).