ATA STRUCTURE AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT -using Excel and MapInfo systems
DATA STRUCTURE AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
The aims of this assignment are: firstly, to assess your skills in using Excel and MapInfo (Mapinfo is the main PC-based GIS packegs used in social and market research. It has the advantage of allowing data transfer from/to Windows-operated non-GIS packages in particular spreadsheet, such as Excel or SPSS into maps. ; and secondly, your ability to design and evaluate forms of data presentation making use of these packages.
1. Summarise the socio-economic variables relating to employment status, comparing males and females. Write a brief
commentary on what this analysis shows.
2. Produce a sub-set of the original dataset, which includes no more than eight variables from the original set. Your subset must include variables from two of the following variable groups: housing tenure, socio-economic (employment) data; and demographic data (ethnicity). You should choose your variables on the basis of a possible (hypothesised) relationship between them.
3. Use Excel to produce appropriate descriptive statistics for each of the variables in your sub-set. Do this separately for Greater London, Inner London and Outer London. Write a brief report on the procedures used, and a short commentary on the results. You should use appropriate charts to show your results.
4. Choose four of your sub-set variables and, using Maplnfo, produce thematic maps of the four variables, using different types of thematic mapping. At least one of the maps should be a bivariate map. Write a brief report on the procedures used, and a short commentary on your findings.
5. Select one variable from your sub-set and conduct two queries with it (in MapInfo), mapping the London Boroughs which are above and below the average. Write a brief commentary on the procedures used, and the results obtained.
· the extent to which you demonstrate skills in using Excel
and MapInfo Profissional program.
· the clarity with which you explain and justify your choice
of variables to be analysed.
· the clarity with which you explain the procedures used.
· the extent to which the conclusions you draw from the data
are justified and explained.
The aims of this assignment are:
1. firstly, to assess the skills in using Excel and MapInfo; and 2. secondly, the ability to design and evaluate forms of data
presentation making use of these packages.