Ave western languages influenced modern Chinese language? If so, why?
Both Mandarin and Cantonese can be discussed in the essay, but please focus on Mandarin. Both spoken and written can be discussed, please focus on written language.
1. Introduction (about 500-700 words)
Background, and the questions to be investigated, as well as the importance and relevance.
2. Literature review (approx 1000 words)
What other books or websites have there been that relate to this question, and review them critically.
3. Investigation (1000-1500 words)
Evidence for the influence (lexical, grammar, etc) and give examples of language changes.
4. Discussion (1000-1200 words)
Analyse and the reasons why modern Chinese has been influenced by western languages.
(1) New Culture Movement in early 20th century in China (written Chinese layout changed from vertical columns to horizontal rows, etc.)
(2) Culture Revolution in 1966-1976 and after culture revolution great amount of translated books influence the whole generation.
(3) Globalisation (main reason), business, influence by US culture, english as the lingua franca etc.
(4) other reasons..
5. Conclusion (500-1000 words)
Summarise and answer the questions raised at the beginning etc.
6. Referencing and bibliography, appendix