BTU)Applied Research Methods for Business and Management
This module will be assessed via one individually written assignment to include a brief academic literature review, a research question, philosophy of research design ,key methodological issues, and a discussion on data collection , ethical issues and data analysis.( there is no requirement for primary data collection). All learning outcomes included in the module descriptor/guide are assessed.
Please select one topic from the list below and prepare an academic research report on your chosen topic outlining your research question and objectives, explaining and fully justifying how you would carry out your research.
Please read carefully the assignmentyiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 s instruction and guidance, the assessment criteria, and the notes on the assignment preparation.
List of the Assignment Topics
1. Cross borders mergers and acquisitions are important international business /management activities in market economies. Suppose you wish to carry out an investigation into causes and consequences of these activities with the view to focussing on a particular research question of interest. For this purpose you are asked to prepare an academic report outlining and fully justifying how you intend to carry out this investigation.
2. Retailing is rapidly becoming an international industry. A key topic in international retailing is foreign market entry strategies and operations. Suppose you wish to carry out research in this area with the view to arriving at a research question for a detailed investigation. For this purpose you are asked to prepare an academic research report outlining and fully justifying how you would intend to carry out this investigation
3. Suppose you wish to investigate yiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 management-cultureyiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 and its impact on organisationyiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 s performance. For this purpose prepare a research report outlining your research question and objectives, explaining and fully justifying how you would carry out this investigation.
4. Suppose you wish to investigate online marketing activities for launching and promoting new products and impact of such activities on company syiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 sales performance. For this purpose prepare a research report outlining your research question and objectives , explaining and fully justifying how you would carry out this investigation.
Instruction and Guidance
Your report should include
1. A brief review of relevant academic literature including key strategic, operational, and management literature and issues to arrive at a clear research question and a number of research objectives.
2. An explanation and justification of the philosophy of research design and the research methodology to be employed.
3. Methods of data collection including questionnaire/ or interview (if relevant), types of data to be used, including qualitative and/or quantitative data.
4. An explanation of methods of data analysis, ethical issues to be observed, and the limitations of your research.
Note: There is no requirement for primary data collection in this assignment or a detailed discussion of a particular case study (if relevant). The assignment should be written in a format of an academic report/essay.
Assessment Criteria ( Essential)
1. Evidence of a critical literature review to include key and relevant literature on strategic, operational and management issues.
Note: you need to provide a brief academic literature review, between 500-1000 words, on relevant strategic, operational, and management issues to generate a clear research question and objectives.
2. Appropriate use of referencing system (Harvard: Author, Date..). This is important and you should cite correctly up-todate academic references in the main text and in a reference section.
3. A focused research question informed by the review of relevant academic literature.
3. An appropriate philosophy of research design and research methodology, given the research question and objectives.
4. Appropriate data collection methods to be employed and their justification.
5. Integration of the key ideas and issues and the depth of analysis.
6. Appropriate conclusion.
Further Guidance and Notes on Assignment Preparation.
yiyiyii?? 0.5 0.5 0.5 This assignment is designed to assess each one of the learning outcomes outlined in the module descriptor (learning outcome 1-5).To ensure you have a good understanding of the relevant material to include in your assignment ,you are strongly advised to consider the questions listed below, as your assignment should address each one of these questions within a format of a research report.
a How would you start the research in terms of information requirements? How would you use the academic literature to arrive at a research question ? ( to have both strategic and operational dimensions) . What would be a relevant research question in this example?
b. What should be the philosophy of research design ? What type of methodology would you use ? Why do you think your chosen methodology is appropriate for this particular research? What are the alternatives?
c. What type of data would you use ? What methods of data collection do you intend to use? . Pay particular attention to qualitative and quantitative techniques of data collection, sample size, response rate, pilot study etc and provide a justification for your answer.
(1).a brief questionnaire for the purpose of this research and with reference to the literature, justify each key question included (describe the format and layout of the questionnaire.)
(2) an interview schedule based on a semi sturctured questionnaire. What factors would you have to take into account setting up the interviews? What are the limitations of this type of data collection method and how can they be overcome?
e.. What are the ethical issues to be considered in this type of research? How would you deal with them?
f. Explain the type of methods you will employ to analyse your data( both quantitative and qualitative data). Provide a clear justification for each method and explain their relevance
g. What are the limitations of this type of research and how would you overcome them?