C: Demography and Health: AISA IN HISPANIC COMMUNTIES
Using Demographic Data to Examine Health Disparities
Health policy-makers in the United States are interested in statistical information related to the health of minority cultural groups. Your task is to use data already gathered to provide further local and national information to the policy-makers.
1. Use the following data sources to answer questions 1A-1D below:
a? Total U.S. population and total estimated Hispanic/Latino Population in 2006-2008 from the following dataset: 2006-2008 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates (Survey: American Community Survey)
a? Cumulative estimated number of AIDS Diagnoses through 2009 from the following dataset: CDC HIV Surveillance Report: Diagnoses of HIV infection and AIDS in the United States and Dependent Areas. Exclude Dependent Areas in your analysis.
A. What was the annual incidence rate of AIDS (per 100,000 population) among the U.S. population in 2009?
B. What was the annual incidence rate of AIDS (per 100,000 population) among Hispanics/Latinos in 2009?
C. What is the prevalence rate of AIDS (per 100,000 population) among the U.S. population based on data received through 2009?
D. What is the prevalence rate of AIDS (per 100,000 population) among Hispanics/Latinos based on data received through 2009?
E. Compare the incidence and prevalence rates between Hispanic/Latino population and the U.S. population. Explain possible reasons for differences.
F. What does the following graph suggest regarding the spread and survivability of AIDS? infections-lg.jpg
2. Use data from Table G (p. 15) of the National Vital Statistics Report (March 2010) to answer the following question:
A. Compare differences between ethnic groups in terms of the three leading causes of death.
B. When would you use an age-adjusted mortality rate instead of a standard mortality rate?
3. Use the following data from US Dept of Health and Human Services Evidence of Trends, Risk Factors, and Intervention Strategies to answer the following question:
A. Compare differences between race/ethnic groups in terms of neonatal and post-neonatal mortality rates. Which ethnic group has the highest neonatal and post-neonatal mortality rates?
B. What factors contribute to the differences between neonatal and post-neonatal mortality rates?
1. Heron M (2010, March). Deaths: Leading Causes for 2006. National Vital Statistics Reports, 58(14), Retrieved November 23, 2010 from nvsr58_14.pdf
2. PREVALENCE & INCIDENCE. Medline University. Retrieved February 18, 2011, from factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/wc_acs.xhtml
4. U.S. Census Bureau. Disability Data. Retrieved February 18, 2011,from /mchb.hrsa.gov/programs/healthystart/healthystartevaluation2006.pdf
World Bank (nd). Chapter 3: Demographic Forecast Under the HIV/AIDS Epidemic. Retrieved July 20, 2010 from /htm
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2009). Vital and Health Statistics Series. Retrieved February 18, 2011, from resources.bmj.com/bmj/readers/epidemiology-for-the-uninitiated/epidemiology-for-the-uninitiated-fourth-edition