Comparative study of the policy, provision and practice in Italy and England
Bear in mind I am studying Early Years Education and Care (0 8 years only); and not above this age group.
For this piece of work you are required to write an essay comparing the policy, provision and practice of Italy with that of England.
Begin by writing a brief introduction to explain how you have chosen to structure your essay. You can present the information you have collected in one of two ways, see below. Whichever way you choose, your introduction should state clearly what you intend to do.
You can write about the policy, provision and practice in Italy. Then write about the policy, provision and practice in England. Finally you can draw out significant similarities and differences. Dont just list them. You will need to comment on these and should quote from your findings. In this way you can demonstrate that you can analyse issues that you have identified. For example, you might want to discuss whether a particular curriculum might have an effect on childrens learning, or whether training and qualifications offered reflect the status of early years practitioners.
If you prefer, you can begin by comparing policy in Italy with policy in England. Then compare provision in the two countries. Finally compare practice. If you choose this structure you will need to ensure that your analysis is included in each section. You should write a conclusion that summarises the most significant points without repeating everything you have just written.
Please Base Essay Around The Following:
* Sophisticated critical analysis and synthesis. Considerable insight shown in awarness of bias and inconsistency. Able to produce tightly structured arguments.
* Can analyse educational research, theory, policy and practice in a systematic way while giving careful and sophisticated analysis of comparative data.
* Comprehensive review of policy, provision and practice with regards to early years education and care across 0 8 years range from international perspectives expressed with clarity and depth.
* Write essay in a clear and articulate mature style. Confident and careful presentation with exemplary struture.
* Produce a coherent and structured essay.
Harvard Style of referencing; and also please reference websites correctly with date you accessed the site. Many perhaps most of your references will be from the internet as this will enable you to present up to date information.
Comparative study of the policy, provision and practice in Italy and England
EARLY YEARS EDUCATION AND CARE (AGES 0-8YRS)
Write an essay comparing the policy, provision and practice of Italy with that of England for age ranges 0-8 years (NOT ABOVE THESE AGES). Begin the essay by writing a brief introduction to explain how you have chosen to structure the essay. Present the information you have collected in the following way.
PLEASE USE QUOTES WITHIN TEXT TO ADD WEIGHT TO ARGUMENTS, AND REFERENCE THESE CORRECTELY.
AN EXTREMELY VALUABLE WEBSITE IS AS FOLLOWS:
The whole of this website is extremely useful.
Structure of Essay: Begin essay by comparing policy in Italy with policy in England. Then compare provision in Italy with provision in England. Finally compare practice in the two countries. You MUST ensure that the analysis is included in each section; i.e. Analysis within policy, analysis with provision and analysis within practice. Finally draw out significant SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES (GIVE OPINIONS WHERE NECESSARY) AND RELATE THESE TO THEORISTS VIEWS; I.E. VYGOTSKY, PIAGET, BRUNER ETC. Dont just list the similarities and differences, you must analyse the issues that you have identified. I.E. iS CHILDHOOD VALUED BY ITALIANS AND NOT UK AND GIVE REASONS AS TO WHY THIS IS SO. For example, you may want to discuss whether a particular curriculum might have an effect on childrens learning, or whether training and qualifications offered reflect the status of early years practitioners.
Write a conclusion that summarises the most significant points without repeating everything you have just written.
Within Essay Include the Following both for Italy and England:
1) Political and Economic Background:Ongoing debates, main legislative and executive authorities, legislative authority, executive authority, ministries with powers over education, regions and regional powers, fundamental principles and basic legislation, compulsory education, general administration, general administration at local level, general administration at regional level, educational institutions, administration, management, head teachers, what policies are placed within schools.
2) Pre-School Education: Ongoing debates, specific legislative background, general objectives, geographical accessibility, financial aid to families, levels and age groups, organisation of school year, weekly and daily timetable, teaching methods and materials, assessment of the pupils, organisational and structural alternatives, statistical data.
3) Primary Education: Ongoing debates, specific legislative framework, general objectives, geographical accessibility, admission requirements and choice of school, financial support for pupils families, age level and grouping of pupils, organisation of school time, organisation of the school year, weekly and daily timetable, programmes of studies, subjects and number of hours, teaching methods and materials, pupils assessment, certification, educational guidence, organisational variations alternative structures, statistical data.
4) Teachers and Educators: Pre-primary and primary education, tertiary education, ongoing debates, initial teacher training, type of training required and duration, curriculum, special skills and specialisation, alternative training pathways, planning policy, in-service training, compulsory work schedule of teaching staff, staff involved in monitoring educational quality, inspectors.
5) Evaluation of educational institutions and the education system: Ongoing debates, administrative and legislative framework, evaluation at national level for pre-primary and primary education.
6) Special Education Support: Research on education at pre-primary and primary education, historical overview, ongoing debates, financial support for pupils families, special provision within mainstream education, specific legislative framework, general objectives, specific support measures, special measures for children/pupils of immigrants, statistical data.
7) Broad and balanced curriculum in England, research Italy: Ofsted, QCA, DfES, diocesan and church authorities, LEAs responsibilities, monitoring and improving standards, school governors, what is the curriculum offered both in Italy and England for pre-primary, and primary.
PLEASE BEAR ALL THE ABOVE WHEN CARRING OUT BOTH COUNTRIES.
Remember the following when writing the essay, and check against this criteria when essay is finished:
1)Select from a range of primary and secondary sources, including theoretical and research based evidence.
2) Analyse educational research, theory, policy and practice in a systematic way.
3) Organise and articulate opinions and arguments in writing showing use of specialist vocabulary.
4) Use of sophisticated critical analysis and synthesis. Considerable insight shown in awareness of bias and inconsistency. Produce tightly structured arguments. Careful and sophisticated analysis of comparative data.
5) Comprehensive review of relevant issues expressed with clarity and depth. Have a detailed knowledge and understanding of comparative theory, policy, provision and practice, with regards to early years education and care across the 0-8 age phase from international perspectives.
6) Communication: Clear and articulate mature style. Confident and careful presentation. Exemplary struture.
7) Can produce a coherent and structured essay, and a concise review: Exemplary structure.
8) Planning & Management: Autonomous within broad guidelines.
9) Research: Indication of extensive appropriate research. All sources are relevant and fully and accurately identified.
10) Can access a range of information in order to develop understanding and insights: Indication of extensive appropriate research. All sources of data are relevant and fully and accurately identified.
PLEASE DO NOT EXCEED THE WORD LIMIT OF 2000 WORDS. I REALISE A LOT OF INFORMATION IS REQUIRED WITHIN THIS LIMIT SO SENTENCES MUST BE PRECISE.
Please reference websites correctly especially during the text.
Many perhaps most of your references will be from the internet as this will enable you to present up to date information. Please give date when you access the site.