Critical analysis of a patiens journey through paediatric intensive crae unit from a nursing perspective
AIM: to evaluate nursing strategies that facilitates the care of a critically ill child and family in their intensive care experience
> select a critically ill infant/child wit complex healthcare needs
> identify one episode during the patients journey as the FOCUS of your essay
> identifythe significance of this episode in the context of the entire patients journey
> your critical evaluation must relate to the identified patient and their experience
> consideration of inter-professional working should be included.
YOUR ESSAY MUST INCLUDE:
1. introduction to the patient with rationale of your choice
2. an overview of the patients journey through PICU, identifying key stages/events
3. an in-depth critical exploration and analysis of ONE EPISODE in their journey
4. significance and implications of analysis and the interrelationships of these to the patient
5. implications and recommendations for future practice.
THE WORK SHOULD:
1. DEMONSTRATE CRITICAL EVALUATION AND ANALYSIS
2. FOCUS UPON THE SELECTED PATIENT AND THEIR INTENSIVE CARE EXPERIENCE
3. FOLLOW A STRUCTURED ESSAY FORMATE, i.e. MUST INCLUDE AND INTRODUCTION, A FOCUSED DISCUSSION WITH LOGICAL LINES OF ARGUMENT AND A CONCLUSION
4. CONFIDENTIALITY MUST BE MAINTAINED, SPECIFIC CARE AREAS, TRUSTS, CLIENTS OR STAFF MUST NOT BE NAMED IN THE MAIN BODY OF THE ASSIGNMENT OR IN APPENDICES.
5. THE WORK SHOULD BE SUPORTED THROUGHOUT WITH UP TO DATE, RELEVANT LITERATURE NOT MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD, WHICH JUSTIFIES AND SUPPORTS THE DISCUSSION.
6. THROUGHOUT THE ESSAY LITERATURE SOURCES MUST BE CITED CORRECTLY AND THE HARVARDS SYSTEM OF REFERENCING USED ACCURATELY.
some example of patients journey are:
1. admission to PICU
2. resuscitation period
3. post operative period
4. pre operative period
5. end of life care
FOCUS ON ONE EPISODE OF A PATIENTS JOURNEY AND DISCUSS THE PATIENT AND FAMILY EXPERIENCE DURING THIS PERIOD.