Describe an agency problem within the firm and discuss what you think is causing the problem
MBA540 Term Paper Directions:
Due by the end of Module 7
Term Paper: A final paper that focuses on the course content, applied in the setting of your current or
past employer, will be due in Module 7. In this paper you will focus on the following:
1. Provide a description of the company that you work for. As part of your description include a
discussion of the type of organizational structure.
2. Describe an agency problem within the firm and discuss what you think is causing the problem
and how the problem might be better controlled.
3. Describe the job dimensions of the firm and discuss whether or not you believe the current design
is appropriate for the firm. Discuss any suggestions you might have for improving the job design.
Grouped by function or by product or geography or a matrix organization? Provide a diagram if
helpful to illustrate. Is this organization effective?
4. Describe the compensation package for executives and employees within the firm. Discuss
whether or not you believe that the compensation package is effective and any suggestions that
you might have for improving the compensation package.
While these questions focus on the latter half of the course, you should remain mindful of the economic
concepts that were developed in the beginning of the course. An a?Aa? paper will demonstrate a thorough
understanding of the relevant topics, completely discuss each of the four points of the paper, use
terminology appropriate to the topic, and use word choice, spelling, and sentence structure appropriate
for graduate-level work.
Specific Formatting Instructions
1. All assignments must be completed as Word documents. If you do not have Word you can
use Microsoft WordPad and use the rich text format (.rtf extension).
2. All assignments must be prepared in the APA format, including references.
3. Cover page. Use a single cover page that contains:
(a) the title of the assignment,
(b) your name
4. Margins. All page margins should be the default margins for your word processing program.
Use only the LEFT margin justification setting.
5. Page numbering. Please use page numbering for all pages except the cover page.
6. Spacing/Font. All papers should be single spaced only (this includes spacing between
paragraphs) and a 12 point font.
7. Direct quotes/ paraphrasing. Direct quotes and paraphrasing MUST be referenced and cited
using APA guidelines. Although there is no limit on how many citations are in the paper, I will
use limits of 15% for quotations and 25% for unoriginal wording for this course. When more
than one quarter of a paper seems to be unoriginal, it usually indicates a problem. Even if
sources are properly cited and some of the words are changed, it raises the question of how
much original thinking went into the paper. There is a big difference between starting with a
blank page and writing your own thoughts, and building the paper around quotes,
paraphrased sources, and the altered wording of another author. You are encouraged to use
textbook concepts as you attempt to explain in your own words the answers to the
assignments rather than relying heavily on quoted material. Try to think about how you would
explain your answer to someone who has not taken a managerial economics class. High
scores on the originality report in Turnitin.com are not just a result of plagiarism; they can
also result from an incorrect quotation/citation methodology or from using words that have
been rearranged from your sources. If you use someone elseas work you must cite and
reference it appropriately.
8. References. You must include a separate References page in APA format with each paper.
Any source that is used to develop your paper must be included in this section.
9. File Name. I will use the file that you submit to Turnitin.com as the one that I will grade. To
facilitate the grading process, please save your file name as lastname_assignment name (e.g.
caldwell_chapter 1 case study) so that when you upload the file it will be obvious to me who the
file is from once it is downloaded for grading.
Use of Turnitin.com: An account for this class has been established with Turnitin.com. For those of you
not familiar with Turnitin.com, it is a plagiarism identification service that can also assist students with
term paper reference methodology. The Turnitin.com tool compares your writing against all published
sources and also checks against prior class papers. You must cite all your source material including direct
quotations, paraphrasing, and statements of fact