D) The role of a?communitya in youth justice in Canada (see for example YCJA preamble)
Identification of the problem
– What is the nature of the problem being addressed by the policy/approach?
– Who recognizes it as a problem?
– Who defines the condition as a problem?
– What are the causes of the problem?
– What is the basis for legitimacy and where does authority lie?
– What is the degree of agreement regarding the policy?
Identification of Value Criteria or Ideological Premises
– Is there ideological support for the policy and, if so from where does it come?
– What is (are) the measure(s) of effectiveness for this policy?
– Is there gender, race, class, bias in the policy?
– How efficient and economic will the policy be?
Assessment of the Alternatives
– What are possible alternatives to the policy?
– Evaluate the policy in relations to intended goals and identified means.
– Is there a logical link between the policy and the problem goals identified?
– Based on your analysis, determine whether you would recommend the policy/approach or advise against it (briefly give reasons for your choice).
4. You will be graded on:
– Knowledge of relevant material
– Quality and relevance of your analysis and argument
– Writing and following assignment guidelines