Ealth and Life Sciences 8000 word Dissertation To Investigate the Spiritual Significance Walking has for Older People.
Health + Life Sciences 8000 word Dissetatoon. To Investigate the Spiritual Significance Walking has for Older People. This assignment involved 6 students who made contact with a walking group consisting of 18 participants aged 65 years and over. A questionnaire was composed consisting of 12 questions relating to experiences of spirituality whilst walking in the countryside.
Each of the 6 students conducted a semi-structured, informal interview with 3 of the participants. They were each asked the same 12 questions and their answers and responses were recorded by voice dictaphone. These answers were then typed-up by an experienced audio-typist and the 18 responses will be pooled together, each student will receive a full copy. Following on from the semi-structured interview, it was arranged that the students including myself would accompany the walking group on a countryside walk. Participant observations were made during the walk recording behavioural and conversational patterns as the walk progressed and upon completion of the walk.
It is proposed that the dissertation follows the structure outlined below: 1. ABSTRACT Consisting of 300-500 words explaining what was intended to happen (the parameters). Also in this section, the reader should be informed of what actually took place including any recommendations. 2. INTRODUCTION Consisting of approximately 1000 words providing the reader of an over view of the Dissertation. firstly, the topic should be introduced To Investigate the Spiritual Significance Walking has for Older People. Secondly, outline the key areas to be covered, identifying the primary aims and objectives. the back ground section should be focussed on the topic and real statistical data can be included. 3. LITERATURE REVIEW Consisting of 1500-2000 words analysing the views of other authors in relation to this research programme. The Literature Review should compare and contrast ideas, theories and views relevant to this research topic. About 10 references should be discussed and about 3-4 different models or theories should be mentioneed. 4. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY consisting of between 1500-2000 words discussing the research programme that has been designed for this dissertation. Begin by briefly reviewing some commom methods advocated for structuring research programmes. The following 12 research questions should be mentioned here, namely:-
1. Please would you tell me your age as we are only interviewing people 65 years and over.
2. How long have you been a member of a walking group?
3. Please explain the structure of a day out with the walking group and how long it lasts.
4. What are your reasons for taking part in a walking group?
5. So there are benefits in walking, for you? if yes, in what ways?
SPIRITUALITY RELATED QUESTIONS
6. This study is to investigate the spititual significance of walking for older people-so what do you think is meant by the term spirituality?
7. Does walking give purpose and meaning to your life? if yes, pleas would you explain how it does this.
8. Do you have a faith in God that is really meaningful to you? if yes, please tell me more about your faith and religious beliefs.
9. If the person says that s/he does have a faith in God, ask, does your faith in God provide an added dimension or meaning to your walks? If yes, please explain. Does this make you feel connected with other members of your group when you are out walking? If yes, please explain how and in what way.
10. How does the location of the walk affect your enjoyment?
11. How do you feel after a walk with the group?
12. Is there anything else you would like to add.
Select the kind of research programme best suited for addressing these particular research questions and discuss the reasons for prompting this decision. Discuss the research strategies adopted, the collection procedures selected and ant problems or difficulties encountered.
5. FINDINGS AND DISCUSSION consisting of 2000-3000 words and which may be sub-divided into 2 headings:-
1. Analysis of Findings and
In this chapter the findings, derived from analysing the answers from the questionnaire and subsequent observations made, must be discussed and represented in statistical form. Discussions should be made relating to the instruments used for the collection and measurement of data. Link important points of this chapter back to principle ideas in the Literature Review with the evidence obtained in this piece of research. End this chapter with a brief summary of the findings. This should then set the scene for the concluding chapter.
6. CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS consisting of 1000-15000 words evaluating the effectiveness of this research programme and to offer recommendations for future study. Make sure that all of the questions raised in the Literature Review havebeen addressed. Weigh the final results of the research programme against the original aims and objectives of the Dissertation. Anomalies, for eg, can be important and interesting. Add recommendations for further research.
7. BIBLIOGRAPHY AND REFERENCES use Harvard Method for Referencing
PLEASE NOTE, THE FULL SET OF TAPED INTERVIEWS HAVE NOT YET BEEN COMPILED AND THEREFORE AT THIS STAGE IT IS SUGGESTED THAT ONLY THE ABSTRACT, INTRODUCTION, LITERATURE REVIEW AND METHODOLOGY SECTIONS OF THE DISSERTATION CAN BE COMPLETED BY AN ASSIGNED WRITER. WHEN THE FINDINGS ARE AVAILABLE, I CAN LIASE WITH THE WRITER TO COMPLETE THE REMAINING SECTIONS OF THE DISSERTATION.