Eath in Venice by Thomas Mann or Jacobs Room by Virginia Woolfrepresentation of wealth/class
For this paper you will develop a topic of your own choosing. Think about what has interested you so far in this course, and develop a set of questions that will guide your research.
-Thesis statement should be regarding topic of the representation of wealth/class.
For this assignment, you will need to assemble a variety of different sources.
Primary: original source materials.
1. Literature that we have read from the course. Other literature from the time period.
2. Letters written by authors.
3. Works of art: painting, sculpture, drawings.
4. Other visual mediums: photography, advertisements, dance, cinema.
5. Music, opera.
6. Works from other disciplines: science, psychology, sociology, etc. Newspaper articles.
Secondary: a commentary or discussion on primary sources.
1. Books/articles of literary criticism. Search the library catalogue and the MLA International Bibliography through the Library webpage.
2. History books.
3. Biographies. Book reviews.
Please turn in a Bibliography with 5-10 sources.
1. A primary source from the course.
2. A non-literary primary source, i.e. a painting, sculpture, piece of music, advertisement, etc.
3. A scholarly book or article that relates to an author from the course.
4. A scholarly book or article that relates to the larger field of modern European literature.