Eneral Definitions and Short Answer Questions
Define the following terms:
2) Patriot Act:
4) Geneva Convention:
5) Hamdan vs Rumsfeld:
6) Ex Parte Quirin:
7) Military Commission Act of 2006:
8) Ex Parte Milligan:
9) Boumediene vs Bush:
1) Outline the arguments for and against the trial of key 9/11 detainees in federal court in lower Manhattan.
2) Compare and contrast the Obama and Bush approaches and policies to the treatment of detainees captured in the aftermath of 9/11.
3) Outline the differences between the trial of an individual before a military commission and a civilian criminal court.
4) What is the essential legal difference between a person designated as a POW and a person designated as an unlawful enemy combatant?
5) Based on your readings of our text and lessons, how can a democracy maintain both national security and civil liberties during times of national conflict?