Eneral Management Investment Case Study
Emphasis Area Assessment
The purpose of the emphasis area assessment is to determine whether you have integrated the concepts, knowledge and skills learned in the emphasis area courses taken previously.
The case analysis should be brief and concise, no more than four to ten pages, double spaced, plus a title page and a reference page.
Investment Case Study
J.S. Holden, Inc. is an investment advisory firm that manages more than $120 million in funds for its numerous clients. The company uses an asset allocation model that recommends the portion of each clientas portfolio to be invested in a growth stock fund, an income fund, and a money market fund. To maintain diversity in each clientas portfolio, the firm places limits on the percentage of each portfolio that may be invested in each of the three funds. General guidelines indicate that the amount invested in the growth fund must be between 20% and 40% of the total portfolio value. Similar percentages for the other two funds stipulate that between 20% and 50% of the total portfolio value must be in the income fund and at least 30% of the total portfolio value must be in the money market fund.
In addition, the company attempts to assess the risk tolerance of each client and adjust the portfolio to meet the needs of the individual investor. For example, Holden just contracted with a new client who has $800,000 to invest. Based on an evaluation of the clientas risk tolerance, Holden assigned a maximum risk index of 0.05 for the client. The firmas risk indicators show the risk of the growth fund at 0.10, the income fund at 0.07, and the money market fund at 0.01. An overall portfolio risk index is computed as a weighted average of the risk rating for the three funds where the weights are the fraction of the clientas portfolio invested in each of the funds.
Additionally, Holden is currently forecasting annual yields of 18% for the growth fund, 12.5% for the income fund, and 7.5% for the money market fund. Based on the information provided, how should the new client be advised to allocate the $800,000 among the growth, income, and money market funds? Develop a linear programming model that will provide the maximum yield for the portfolio. Use your model to develop a managerial report.
1. Recommend how much of the $800,000 should be invested in each of the three funds. What is the annual yield you anticipate for the investment recommendation?
2. Assume that the clientas risk index could be increased to 0.055. How much would the yield increase and how would the investment recommendation change?
3. Refer again to the original situation where the clientas risk index was assessed to be 0.05. How would your investment recommendation change if the annual yield for the growth fund were revised downward to 16% or even to 14%?
4. Assume that the client expressed some concern about having too much money in the growth fund. How would the original recommendation change if the amount invested in the growth fund is not allowed to exceed the amount invested in the income fund?
5. The asset allocation model you developed may be useful in the modifying the portfolio for all of the firmas clients whenever the anticipated yields for the three funds are periodically revised. What is your recommendation as to whether use of this model is possible?