Enetic and phenotypic characterisation of transposon mutanta of pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1
1. Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Describe the characteristics-whos at risk e.g…cystic fibrosis patient
2. P.aeruginosa has a large dynamic genome, approximately 10% is regulated by sophisticated multi signal QS system, that plays a key role in controlling virulence factor production,biofilm maturation,swarming motility and the expression of antibiotic efflux pumps
3. Define quorum sensing as a mechanism of controlling multiple gene expression-Expression of many bacterial genes is regulated in a cell density dependent manner via small signal molecules known as autoinducers , this type of regulation is termed quorum sensing
4. The QS system that employ N-acyl-homoserine lactones (HSLs) and PQS (PAP A System)is a multifunctional molecule(Iron chelating properties of PQS ALSO IMPLIED potential roles in iron transport in promoting oxidative stress and in denitrification.
5. QS regulates expression of various genes ,including the genes responsible for the production of virulence factor……etc
6. The impact o QS signal molecules on the host
7. Discuss the exploitation of QS as a novel antibacterial target
Diggle, S.P., Cornelis, P., Williams, P., and Camara, M. (2006a) 4-Quinolone signalling in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Old molecules, new perspectives. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 296: 83-91.
Diggle, S.P., Stacey, R.E., Dodd, C., Camara, M., Williams, P., and Winzer, K. (2006b) The galactophilic lectin, LecA, contributes to biofilm development in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Environmental Microbiology 8: 1095-1104.
Pritchard, D.I. (2006) Immune modulation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensing signal molecules. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 296: 111-116.
Venturi, V. (2006) Regulation of quorum sensing in Pseudomonas. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 30: 274-291.
Quorum sensing and environmental adaptation in Psudomonas aeruginosa :a tale of regulatory networks and multifunctional signal molecules:Paul Williams and Miguel Camara