Haracteristics of Effective Nurse Leaders
Topic: Characteristics of Effective Nurse Leaders
Choose a nurse leader whose character and performance epitomizes an effective nurse leader. The chosen leader does not have to interact personally with you for this assignment; however, you must know the leader well enough to be personally aware of his or her professional performance and character. Develop an APA-formatted 1000 word paper (5 pages, excluding cover page and references), to meet the criteria described below. The content, as well as the writing skills will be critically evaluated.
Note: This paper is NOT an interview paper, but a documentation of your observations and/or experiences with the leader. The nurse leader must be identified; however, names do not need to be included. The paper must be written in your own words, supported by the literature, but should not be a direct reflection of the data as presented in the literature. This assignment must be submitted to Turn-it-in for verification of authenticity and all guidelines for Turn-it-in apply.
Note: Do not use a question/answer format or direct quotations in this assignment. Paraphrase the information and credit the authors with citations and references.
All must be Included in the paper:
1. An appropriately formatted cover page.
2. An introduction that describes the purpose of the paper.
3. Headings to separate the content.
4. Presentation of the nurse leader.
5. A description of the characteristics that exemplify the nurse leader. These characteristics must be supported by data from nursing-related literature, and not general information about leaders. A minimum of FOUR (4) characteristics must be included in the paper.
6. Discuss each characteristic in a separate paragraph.
7. A discussion of the impact the nurse leader has on your current and future professional leadership growth.
8. A concluding paragraph that summarizes the content.
9. A minimum of FOUR (4) scholarly resources that are peer reviewed, between 2009-2014. (JOURNAL ARTICLESa¦ SOME ARE LISTED BELOW)
Grading Rubric: The paper must include the following to receive credit.
* A nurse leader is the focus of the paper
* The introduction includes the purpose of the paper and is clearly stated.
* The identification and presentation of the nurse leader sufficiently portrays the person
* The characteristics are exemplary of nursing leadership
* The characteristics are clearly and explicitly portrayed
* The characteristics of the nurse leader is appropriately supported by the nursing literature ( by the 4 scholarly resources)
* Each characteristic is relevant and is comprehensive presented in a separate paragraph
* The discussion of the impact on the studentas current and future professional leadership growth is insightful, visionary, and comprehensively presented
* The concluding paragraph summarizes the highlights of the content in a meaningful way (not just a repetition of what was in the body of the paper)
Resources already found for this paper (these can be used for this paper)
American Nurses Association. (2014). Leadership. Retrieved from j.1365-2834.2012.01403.x
Willcocks, S. G. (2012). Exploring leadership effectiveness: Nurses as clinical leaders in the NHS. Leadership in Health Services, 25(1), 8-19. doi:10.1108/17511871211198034
Keys, Y. (2014). Looking ahead to our next generation of nurse leaders: Generation X nurse managers. Journal of Nursing Management, 22(1), 97-105. doi:10.1111/jonm.12198