Hild Care Interact effectively with children
This assessment task requires you to interact with children aged 0-12 years. This must be in a workplace situation such as a child care centre, preschool, out of school hours care service or family day care. (NOTE: IF NONE OF THESE APPLY TO YOU THEN YOU ARE ALLOWED TO IMAGINE/MAKE UP THE SITUATION).
Complete the following reflective tasks about your interactions with children aged 0-12 years. You will be required to record and complete 5 reflections about positive interactions you have had with children.
1. Record one example of an appropriate and positive interaction you had with a child aged 0-3, 3-5 or 6-12 years.
record the childs first name, age and the activity the child was involved in.
explain why your interaction was appropriate (refer to both verbal and non-verbal communication)
did you respond positively and with respect to the communication style used by the child? Provide examples to support your answer.
2. Record one example of an interaction that you had with a child where you had to apply limitis or guidelines to a child aged 0-3, 3-5 or 6-12 years.
record the childs first name, age and the activity that child was involved in
briefly outline how you decided to guide the childs behaviour. (consider age / developmental ability, needs at the time, physical setting)
how did you communicate the limit or guideline? (describe both non-verbal and verbal communication)
what was the childs response to your interaction?
what positive interaction did you have with the child whilst guiding their behaviour?
3. Record one example of an interaction that demonstrates your responding to or talking about differences in a respectful and positive manner with a child or children aged 0-3, 3-5 or 6-12 years.
record the childs first name, age and the activity or situation the child was involed in
explain why your interaction as respectful and positive
do you think this interaction will encourage children to respect differences? Why or why not?
4. record one example of an interaction that demonstrates your working collaboratively with a child or children aged 0-3, 3-5 or 6-12 years.
record the childs first name, age and the activity or situation the child was involved in
how did you consult with the child?
how did you encourage the child to express their ideas or interests?
how did you support the child in decision making?
5. Record an example of an interaction with children aged 0-3, 3-5 or 6-12 years in which you extended childrens play and interests by adding new materials or suggesting new ideas
record the child/childrens first names, ages and the activity in which the child was involved
describe the materials or suggestions and how you introduced them to the play
describe how the child/children responded to the materials/ideas