Issertation Title: Case study: Impact of adopting Information System Management in Lagos State, (Nigeria) local governments
Dissertation Title: Case study: Impact of adopting Information System Management in Lagos State, (Nigeria) local governments
This is an administrative / managerial project, there must be some degree of scholarly added value and some seed of original thinking, innovative approach, or otherwise interesting or beneficial contribution to the field.
The dissertation must focus on the impact of ISM will have in Lagos state local governments and consider how the problems need to be solved and address the merits of e-government. It will be 13500 words
Any references must be fully cited including url.
Please read the Project Proposal and Project Specifications and Design Assessment Report documents to get feel for the final dissertation. Please send me the chapters as they are being completed.
About the dissertation
The objective of this dissertation is look at local governments in Lagos State of Nigeria and Nigeria, using Ifako Ijaye as a case study and representative. The local government has nil or basic information technology, with paper files still residing in filing cabinets still the main method for storing information and internal processes are carried out manually. The aim of this proposed dissertation is to investigate the impact or effect of introducing information systems management into Nigeriaas local governments using a sample of Lagos State local governments as a case study, while focusing on how IS will aid the management of internal processes.
Please look at merits of IS, benefits the adoption will have to staff, internal process, people in society and communication.
An investigation was conducted to ascertain the impact information systems will have on the current manual processes. It is important to highlight requirements and changes that need to be made.
The dissertation must take a holistic view on the impact the ISM will have both internally and externally on the local government, the way manual processes will be eliminated and how ISM will improve efficiency and effectiveness.
It is important to focus on the impact that information system management will have on this local government that today. uses paper files for storage and has a workforce with 60% limited & 40% no computer skill. The local government has only a few desktops in the building and has no IT infrastructure in place.
Address the benefits ISM will improve inter-departmental communication, internal process and benefits e-systems (e-government / e-business) will provide the electorate and workers.
Research needs to look at the sociological impact effect that ISM will have and look at merits of adopting e-government, please use references that are up to 10 years.
Other things to be related to the local government in this dissertation:
Personalisation and customisation is used by companies to exploit the advantages e-commerce provides by fine tuning their respective business transactions to target the preferences of their broad types and categories of customers. According to Laudon through personalisation, a?merchants can target their marketing messages to specific individuals by adjusting the message to a personas name, interest, and past purchases.a? This is common among most of todayas companies that are at the forefront of e-commerce.
Customisation according to Laudon is a?changing the delivered product or service based on a useras preference or prior behaviour.a? This is also common in todayas business practise where a company collates information through customer profile or prior orders.
With the competitive nature of the various industries, most companies have realised advantages that e-commerce provides and how it can be used to increase their market share. Having the possibility to personalise and customise marketing messages and change a product or service according to the benefit/preference of consumers is a major advantage to a company.
Majority of companies world wide have identified that e-commerce is fast becoming an advantageous means for both businesses and customers in todays rapid moving internet (e-connected) world.
Ascertain how a well planned web site is important for the success of e-commerce business and according to hostinfo, a?very vital function in increasing your sales and contributing to your business success.a? Relating it to a the local government, it is important that navigating through a web site and its content are planned so consumers visiting the site can easily navigate around and encourage then to return. If this is achieved, the needs of customers have been fulfilled confirming there is value proposition.
Explain how successfully delivering a viable e-commerce product it is important that a lot of thought and consideration is placed at the planning and design phases. This will ensure that the proposal takes into account the end product and mitigates potential design issues that can arise.
According to Laudon (5th ed, page 8-51), a?governance has to do with social control: Who will control e-commerce, what elements will be controlled and how the controls will be implemented.a? Cert.org states a?Governing for enterprise security means viewing adequate security as a non-negotiable requirement of being in business.a? Both views of governance highlight the importance of enterprise security governance, failure can be catastrophic if it is not a corporate policy that is enforced top down.
I listed below some lessons leant about a?Governing for Enterprise Securitya? taken from the web site:
1. Security is enacted at an enterprise level. It is important that management understand what is required of them regarding organization security both administrative and technically. With todayas levels of investment in e-commerce, management has to ensure internet and web infrastructure is secured.
2. Security is treated the same as any other business requirement. According to cert, security should be considered a business expense not a budget item that can be negotiated. If the security is compromised due to cuts, this could lead to exposure and vulnerabilities. An example would be company not updating its any anti-virus software because management is cost cutting. Both technical and administrative security must be monitored and managed
3. Security is considered during normal strategic and operational planning cycles. Security objectives must be aligned with corporate objectives, these objectives must be SMART. It is important that a company carries out risk analysis to ascertain what security polices are required and how they will be implemented.
4. Security is integrated into enterprise functions and processes. According to cert, a?these include risk management, human resources (hiring, firing), audit/compliance, disaster recovery, business continuity, asset management, change control, and IT operations.a? All department heads must understand importance of security within its department.
5. Employees accessing the corporate network will need to understand the corporate policies and reasons for confidentiality. At my current place of work all employees are randomly expected is to read security policies on the intranet.
The relationship between the Internet and the public has increased continuously over the years and I believe the trend will continue to do so for the foreseeable future
As the benefits of the internet have diversified due to the opportunities realised, so has the intended usage of the Internet. We are aware that with all the positive benefits realised from the Internet, and ecommerce, there are those that will use these mediums unethically and immorally to exploit these benefits.
Address how managerial functions, roles, and skills can be enhanced by information technology.
Managers function includes planning, organising, controlling and directing a department activities or individuals that report to him/her. A good manager must be dynamic and able to respond to a variety of challenges and be able to