Ive most important ideas or contributions that are alive today from the fathers of philosophers.
The instructor is looking for us to cite five different quotes from the early philosophers (five different) and explain how they contributed to modern american society. Why was it good then and why is it still alive today?
The sources and quotes need to come from stories read in class from the philosphers which can be found online. Any sources used outside of the book need to be American sources.
The list of the stories read were:
1. John Locke An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
2. Moses Maimonides The Guide for the Perplexed (part II, Introduction)
3. Rene Descartes Meditations on the First Philosophy
4. Boethius The Consolation of Philosophy (Book V, Chapter 6)
5. William of Ockham Summa Logicae (on Universals Part 1, Chapters 14-16)
6. Giovanni Pico Della Mirandola Oration on the Dignity of Man (in part)
The name of the book used in class which has all of the above mentioned stories is called:
From Plato to DerridaSixth Edition, by Forrest E. Baird, Philosophic Classics Series