LEOPATRA(With Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton)/A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS.”
I do not need sources or written in any format. Just a detailed and complete answer to each questions.
Video #1 CLEOPATRA(With Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton)
1. What was the name of the great final battle where Julius Caesar defeated Pompey?
2. How did Julius Caesar treat Pompeys legions after he defeated them? (Be specific)
3. What was the most important product that Roman needed Egypt to provide?
4. What was the family name and ethnic background of Cleopatra and the other Egyptian pharaoh?s during the time of Julius Caesar?
5. Which one of the architectural Wonders of the Ancient Worldwas located in Alexandria at this time?
6. Why did Julius Caesar go to Alexandria to begin with?
7. How does Julius Caesar want Pompeys corpse treated?
8. How did Cleopatra make her entrance to meet Julius Caesar the first time?
9. What god or goddess does the family of Julius Caesar claim they were descended from?
10. What did Julius Caesar do and say when he visited the tomb of Alexander the Great?
11. What was Alexanders vision that Julius Caesar shared? (Clue: One….”)
12. What illness did Julius Caesar suffer throughout his life? (What other famous ancient general had the same disability?)
13. How did the fire in Alexandria start? And what great cultural institution was destroyed as a result?
14. What are the Ballistesof the Romans?
15. What is the Roman Turtle?”
16. What practice involving food and drink did Cleopatra use but Julius Caesar did not?
17. What series of wars did Julius Caesar write a commentary on? Where did these take place?
18. Who was Caesareon?”
19. What does Cicero fear that Julius Caesar will do to Rome?
20. What title is Julius Caesar given when he returns Rome from Egypt?
21. What title did Julius Caesar want the Roman people to give him?
22. On what day of the year was Julius Caesar assassinated?
23. What group of people killed Caesar? Who were the two leaders in this assassination plot?
24. At what battle did Anthony defeat these two leaders of the assassination of Julius Caesar?
25. What is Octavians key title or name as an emperor? (You may need to check your book.) Who was his brilliant Naval commander?
26. Who were the triumvirate?
27. Who was Anthonys chief supporter in the Senate?
28. Who does Anthony marry and what is her family connection?
29. At what major battle does Octavian defeat Anthony?
30. What was Octavian doing all through the battle with Anthony (#29)?
31. Why did Cleopatra kill herself?
VIDEO #2 A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS.
(Paul Scofield & Orson Wells version)
*Before viewing, look up in a good dictionary, the words Expediencyand Virtue(or Moral”). Read in your Perry textbook on Sir Thomas More, p.319 and King Henry 8, pp.339-340. Also read about Machiavelli and Renaissance humanism, pp.310-311.
1. Write definitions for Expediencyand Virtue(or Moral”) especially contrasting them as two opposing ways of deciding how to act. Do not just copy out the dictionary definitions, but see them as opposites and define them in your own words as much as you can.
A. Expediency: _________________________________.
B. Virtue: _____________________________________.
2. YOU WILL NEED TO WATCH THE WHOLE MOVIE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION. Describe the improving quality of clothing and declining quality of moral virtue (as seen in his view of how to treat his friend, Sir Thomas More) in the character of Richard Rich focusing on three important moments:
A. Before his first deal with Cromwell.
B. During his first deal for his first political job appointment with Cromwell.
C. During his last deal with Cromwell for his for his second political job offer and during the final courtroom scene.
3. Who is the cardinal who sends the letter in the opening scene? What is his office and social background?
4. What is the office and social background of Sir Thomas More?
5. In the scene where More is receiving the letter, the people are poking fun of something of his? What are they poking fun at and what is the nature of their jesting?
6. In the first conversation between More and the cardinal, who Sees facts straight onand who sees them With a moral squint?
7. What are the facts Straight on(the crisis) for England at this point in history?
8. What is the simple expedient solution to this crisis that Reasons of stateseems to call for?
9. What are the moral issues that the Moral squintsees? (Mention Henry 8s wives; the authority of the pope; and the nature of the institution of marriage.)
10. Explain the conflict between the cardinals way of looking at this crisis and Sir Thomas Mores way of looking at this crisis in terms of what your textbook tells you about Machiavelli and the new Renaissance humanism?
11. Explain what More does with the silver goblet in the boat ride back from the meeting with the cardinal in light of his political theory in his book, Utopia”. How might the story have turned out if he would have acted then according to the strict principle of his theory?
12. Why does Sir Thomas More disapprove of Master Roper marrying his daughter? What does Mrs. More dislike about Master Roper?
13. Explain the expedient versus the virtuous or moral viewpoint in the conversation between Richard and Thomas Cromwell about Things said between friends.
14. What is the job of an Administratoraccording to Cromwell?
15. In the conversation between Sir Thomas More and the Duke of Norfolk, More expresses his most important belief about the authority of the pope. Why is the authority of the pope so important for him?
16. What does Sir Thomas More think will save him from the wrath of the king?
17. Twice, the phrase, This isnt Spain, this is Englandis uttered. (First, from Norfolk to More, then from Cromwell to Norfolk.) What does this mean?
18. What is the classic line that Sir Thomas More utters to the Duke of Norfolk regarding the Nobility of England?
19. In a conversation between Sir Thomas More and the Duke of Norfolk, More explains why giving a promise or an oath is so important for him. What is his reason?
20. What was the final end/death for Thomas Cromwell, King Henry 8 and Richard Rich?