Lis Book Society NOTE: should be done by microsoft access
I WILL UPLOAD THE INSTRUCTIONS BY WORD DOCUMENT, THE COURSEWORK SHOULD BE DONE BY MICROSOFT ACCESS PLEASE
Ali works for a large corporation in his home city. As part of the employeras programme of social activities, Ali runs a book society called Great Expectations. The society is open to members only.
Currently, there are two groups in the society. Each group is limited to twelve members and one meets on Monday evening and the other on Wednesday evening. Each week, one of the group members chooses a book to be discussed the following week. The member who chooses the book leads the discussion. While each group chooses a different book, sometimes they pick a book that has been read already by the other group.
Ali keeps a record of the books read, classifying them by genre and including the date of discussion and the name of the member who chose it. For each meeting, members usually pay A?2.00 to cover the cost of refreshments but sometimes, for special occasions, there are extended meetings, which are charged at A?3.00.
Ali currently keeps his records in paper form. Members complete a membership form, choosing which group they wish to attend (see attached Form A) and Ali provides a membership card that includes a pre-printed Membership Number and the members full name. The membership records are stored in a file, alphabetically by surname.
Ali keeps a list of the books read with the date on which they are discussed, and by which group (see attached Form B). He also keeps an attendance list for each meeting (see attached Form C).
Ali is very careful about his record-keeping but he doesnt always remember to record the pre-printed membership number of the application form. He also has to carry the paper files to every showing.
There are currently 23 members and Ali has received several enquiries about joining. As the activity grows in popularity (Mondayas group is full), it is likely that Ali will need to run additional groups. He would like a small database to help keep his records. He requires a database with forms that will allow him to:
1. Create a new record and print a membership card for those who wish to join at first attendance.
2. Add new books to the database
3. Add new groups to the database
4. Keep a record of the discussion dates of a book
5. Record attendance of members at meetings
6. To view records of any book discussion, enabling Ali to enter attendance at the meeting.
Ali would like the following reports:
1. A list of members, sorted by group and surname
2. A list of books, sorted by genre
3. A list of book titles, including the author, genre, the dates on which they have been discussed and by which group.
4. Attendance lists for meetings, showing the total amount of money taken for the evening
5. A list showing each member, the group they belong to and the books they have read.
You are required to:
a? Identify the fields required to store the data Ali will need
a? Allocate the fields to an appropriate table
a? Create a suitable set of tables, queries, forms and reports to meet Alis needs.
a? Enter some dummy records
1. On paper Entity Model
2. On disk the Book Group Database
On paper – printouts of each report created (single example only)
3. On paper a Form Diagram (see Part One summary for an example)
4. On paper include a short report (approximately 500 words) noting any improvements or additional functionality you would like to have included in your database.
TOTAL MARKS FOR PART TWO: 70 marks
In addition to the provision of the basic requirements, marks will be awarded for further effort, such as:
a? A clear, consistent database interface , e.g.
a? consistent colour scheme
a? correct spelling
a? relevant, well-situated command buttons
a? clear, useful navigation around the database
a? Added functionality
a? Clear presentation on reports (labelling, spacing, headings)
a? Written report (improvements/weaknesses):
a? Clear use of English and clear structure
a? the report is to be based on your assessment of your database. It is not a critique of Access or of the assignment requirements. I want your evaluation of
o how the database could be developed further (e.g. any added functionality prohibited by constraints of time and/or expertise.)
o possible additional developments to help Ali run the group
o You should also acknowledge any weaknesses/problems with the final database. Any cutting or pasting from other sources will automatically receive zero.