Mergency Management Policy Implementation & Analysis
Emergency Management Policy Implementation & Analysis
1. Special Project: (50%)
Each student will select one of major man-made or natural disasters in the United States such as 9/11 terrorist attack and Hurricane Katrina. Each student will
1) Case Introduction: Provide basic factors of emergencies (10%): introduction of your case such as timeline, location, scale, duration, size of effect etc.
2) Identify the key success or failure factors of systemas operations (10%): evaluate whether the systemas operations were successful or not, then explore in what ways did the operations of emergency management system succeed or fail?
3) Explore critical policy issues (10%): What are impending policy issues to be addressed?
4) Apply conceptual framework discussed in sessions in your analysis (10%): what theories of emergency management can be applied to your analysis and support your arguments?
5) Suggest possible policy alternatives for effective future emergency management (10%).
Available resource for case selection:
Case Studies in Disaster Response and Emergency Management (ASPA Series in Public Administration and Public Policy)
Guide for Case Study Analysis
1. Length: 20 typewritten pages or equivalent (double spaced) is the maximum
2. Case study selection criteria
a. Disaster focus
b. Reference need to be book length report (not a journal article)
3. Required Format: (use the following subtitles)
a. Clear citation
b. Summary of event and locale
c. Research methods or perspective that you applied
e. Major social science conclusions
h. Identify Emergency management policy issues
i. Conclusions most relevant to emergency managers