Nglish Grade 12 The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
The Lottery question
1. Write a personal response to the ending. How does the story make you feel?
2. How is the town described? What aspects of the set affect our expections of the story?
3. Wgat elements of foreshadowing can you find?
4. The lottery is an important tradition in this town. What does the story therefore tell us about the influence of tradition and community>
5. The Lotterywas written just after World War II (in 1948). How do you think historical events may habe prompted Shirley Jackson to write this story?