Omparative analysis of Elkinsa historical interpretation of slavery with James McPhersonas interpretation in Ordeal by Fire
Copied from requirements:
For this project, you will read Stanley Elkinsa Slavery and then write a comparative analysis of Elkinsa historical interpretation of slavery with James McPhersonas interpretation in Ordeal by Fire. Your analysis should address the following questions:
1. What are the points of agreement and disagreement between the two authors, Stanley Elkins and James McPherson, concerning the institution of slavery?
2. Specifically, what influence did institutions like the church have on the character of American slavery?
3. How much control did the masters have over their slaves? Did the slaves exercise any autonomy over their own lives?
4. Did American devotion to limited government and laissez faire capitalism ameliorate the brutality of slavery?
5. What evidence does each author use to support his arguments, and is the evidence anecdotal or quantifiable?
6. Which author more accurately describes antebellum American slavery? Why?
The paper (not including the cover page) should be a minimum of 1250 words in length, double spaced in 12 point Arial font. Sources should be cited and referenced in either APA or Chicago/Turabian format. Project 1 Due Date: 18 July 2011
Project will be in one doc file.
Work will be graded using history writing rubric.