Omparisons of the Coast Guardas response in hurricane Sandy with Ocean City, NJ, and in New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina
I plan to write about the comparisons of the Coast Guardas response in hurricane Sandy with Ocean City, NJ, and the response in New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina.
Strategic planning is an important process for a private business or a local, state or federal government organization. Most organizations now have a strategic plan of some kind to guide them into the future. Homeland security and emergency management organizations are no different; they need to have a strategic direction as well. This assignment is designed to provide for an examination and analysis of a strategic plan based on critical thinking and strategic planning principles you have learned in this course.
In one coherent, logical and organized 10to 15-page typed paper and using both information from the course on strategic planning and the elements and standards of Critical Thinking as tools of analysis provide an analysis of the organizations strategic plan. Apply the appropriate elements and standards of critical thinking to your analysis. (Review Dr. Garfinkleas a?How to Learn from History -and How Not Toa?, and the information at a?A Research Guide for Studentsa?).
At a minimum your paper should include the following:
a? Introduction: Introduce the organization for which you are analyzing their strategic plan. Provide a description of the organization, (what is the organizations purpose for existing?), including any pertinent demographics (size, location, resources, expertise, awards, etc).
a? Body of Analysis: Provide an analysis of the following parts of the selected strategic plan:
1. Mission: Is the mission clear, logical, relevant, with sufficient breath and significance? Does it meet the criteria of a good mission statement? If not, why not?
2. Vision: Does the vision have clarity, logic, relevance to the organizational purpose and mission? Is it significant? Does it meet the criteria of a good organizational vision? If not, why not?
3. Values: Are the values consistent with the organizational purpose (relevant)? Are they logical, significant and fair? Should additional values be added, should any be removed?
4. Goals: Are the goals clear, logical, relevant and significant? Is the depth and breadth of the goals sufficient to achieve the mission and vision of the organization?
5. Objectives: Are the objectives clear, logical relevant and significant to the Goal they support and the organizational purpose and mission. Are they of sufficient depth, breadth and precision to assure goal accomplishment? Do they meet the requirements of good objectives? If not, why not?
6. Performance Measures: Are the performance measures clear, accurate and precise enough to demonstrate goal accomplishment? Do they meet the requirements of good performance measures? If not, why not?
7. Lessons Learned: Did this agency publish an after-action report, and if so, what did it recommend.
a? Conclusion: Summarize your findings
Cite your references in APA format. Quote selectively but give examples where necessary for clarity purposes. Write comprehensively, yet concisely, to be as thorough as you can.
Your analysis will be typed in MS Word format, double-spaced and ten (10) fifteen (15) pages in length. Include a cover page, with a title (the name of the organization), your name and date. Include a bibliography on a separate page. The cover page and bibliography are in addition to the 10-15 pages for your paper. Proofread and edit your paper carefully to eliminate grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. You should use 12-point, Times New Roman. Use one-inch margins. Provide a link to the organizations strategic plan in your bibliography.
The written assignment is worth 30 percent of your course grade. The criteria and values associated with them are listed in the following table:
1. Quality of Research (multiple dimensions, footnotes, etc) 4
2. Organization of material (beginning, middle and end) 4
3. Clarity in presentation of relevant facts 3
4. Quality of writing 4
5. Logic of argument 3
6. Writing mechanics: grammar, punctuation, spelling, and citations 4
7. Use of maps and other graphics 2
8. Creativity in providing alternative courses of action 2
9. Objectivity 4
Total points (out of 30) 30
Significant grade reductions will be made for papers with errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation and reflecting poor proofreading and editing.