Questions about autobiography, biography, diary and letter writing
Please find below the examples of reading material in order to use as examples.
Anne Frank The Secret Annexe
Dr Mr Branson
Last Train To Memphis
Please answer the following 4 questions. Before please read thoroughly through all the guidelines.
1. Explain, with examples, the distinction between autobiography, biography, diary and letter writing (400 words)
2. With reference to specific examples choose two of the aims of autobiographical writing (eg. to record, communicate, reflect, justify, reveal). Analyse the specific stylistic features used and assess how successfully you feel that the aims have been achieved. (400 words)
3. Write a short piece of autobiography (800-1000 words)
4. Commenting on your use of structure and language. Evaluate the effects that you are aiming to achieve. (400 words)
Total 20002200 words
This assignment addresses the following Assessment Criteria.
1. Explain, with examples, the distinction between autobiography, biography, diary and letter writing.
2. Analyse and exemplify at least two of the aims of autobiographical writing (eg. to record, communicate, reflect, justify, reveal) and assess their effectiveness.
3. Construct an effectively-realised continuous narrative from selected experiences, and evaluate the effects they are trying to achieve.
Understanding the subject:
an excellent grasp of the relevant knowledge base.
an excellent understanding of the different perspectives or approaches associated with the area of study.
Communication and Presentation:
Shows very good command of
is structured in a way that is consistently logical and fluent;
arguments and ideas are unambiguous and cogent;
taken as a whole, demonstrates an excellent response to the demands of the brief/assignment
To achieve a merit you will need to ensure you have very good levels of technical accuracy in your answer. You need to ensure that you can use the applicable frameworks (e.g. lexis, semantics and grammar) with general accuracy You will also need to provide very good and generally well sustained levels critical analysis and further demonstrate an ability to compare and contrast between different the different types of biographical and autobiographical. You will also need to provide work that is structured in a way that is generally logical and fluent.
To achieve a distinction your work will need to demonstrate excellent levels of consistency in terms of the analysis and presentation of ideas. Frameworks (e.g. lexis, semantics and grammar) must be applied consistently and accurately. You will need to provide excellent levels of sustained critical analysis and demonstrate an ability to compare and contrast across a range of different texts with some sophistication. You will also need to provide work that includes excellent levels of accuracy and organisation; it must be coherently presented and free from ambiguity in technical expression. Your work will also show evidence of independent reading, incorporating a range of references which must be cited and referenced accurately.
In addition, you should adhere to all academic conventions and structures. You must ensure you include regular citations within your work and a bibliography at the end (all with Harvard referencing style). Ensure your essay has the correct title (the question) with unit number and title, your name and date. Make sure all pages are correctly numbered. Finally, ensure your work is well presented; page layout needs to be in a consistent font with double spacing for text and with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.