Rida Kahlo a?Self-Portrait with Cropped Haira? and Futagoa? by Yasumasa Morimura
Introduction and Thesis
Introduce the artwork titles, period styles and artists names
Briefly state what you believe is significant about these artworks
In other wordsa¦ Tell your reader what works of art you will be discussing and why you think they are important
Correctly identify artwork titles, period styles and artists names
Compare the artworks by discussing key stylistic characteristics associated with artists and period styles
Apply art history vocabulary correctly and uses it to support your stylistic analysis
In other wordsa¦ What make these works stylistically significant?
Compare the artworks by discussing key cultural issues associated with artists and periods
Discuss how the cultural context of each period influenced the artistic development of the period style (Make connections between cultural context and style)
In other wordsa¦ What makes these works culturally significant?
Conclusion and Thematic Connection
Analyze the ways art can affect and/or reflect cultural, political and social issues
Draw conclusions about the artist / society which produced the artwork from the comparison
In other wordsa¦ What a?Thematic Connectiona? can you make between the two works of art that helps you better understand them or the culture they represent?
Incorporate 3 our more sources (outside of lecture notes & textbook) to support your analysis
Properly cite your sources using MLA format
Include a list of a?Works Citeda?
Use of grammar, spelling and punctuation correctly throughout your paper
In other wordsa¦there should be no mechanical errors!
SOURCES: 3 in addition to the module text
scholarly professional web site (for example, a museum, research institute or university)
nonfiction book published within the last 50 years
an art history textbook such as Garnders Art Through the Ages, Jansens, or Schneider-Adams
professional art historical publication (magazine or journal, can be online) such as The Art Bulletin
Databases such as the Oxford Dictionary of Art Online
Credible professional websites such as those of museums, galleries, and universities, for example:
The Getty Center
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Donat use Wikipedia!
Critical Thinking & Analysis 35%
Cultural Significance 25%
Stylistic Significance 25%
Research & Citations 10%
Writing Mechanics 05%
same source of the information from internet or books should be less than 10%
Write a 3-5 page essay comparing and contrasting two works of art covered in this course. One of your selected works of art must be non-Western (as this is a Topics in World Art course).
ORGANIZATION Structure your essay so that it covers the following elements:
* Introduction including a thesis statement. This is the main point of your essay and tells your reader what you are going to cover in the essay.
* Cultural context of both artworks/ period style (politics, society, religion, etc.)
* Stylistic characteristics of both artworks/ period style. What formal characteristics are employed? (line, color, shape, light, mass, balance, scale, etc).
When discussing culture and style your essay should address how the cultural context informs the stylistic characteristics of that period. You should also incorporate art historical vocabulary from the modules when discussing stylistic characteristics.
* Subject matter of both artworks. (story/narrative, what?s going on in the artwork?)
* Function and possible meaning (symbolism/ iconography) of both artworks
* Similarities, differences between the two. What makes this a good comparison?
* Conclusion should recap thesis, include important conclusions or insights about the artwork and the artist or culture who produced it and discuss why you chose to write about the artwork.
* Documentation of sources bibliography, footnotes, endnotes, etc.