Ritical Analysis of the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) and the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)
Critical analysis is a key component of study in the criminal justice field. Disagreement among criminal justice publications is very common with respect to interpretation of both the data and measurement in the field. With this in mind, the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) and National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) have divergent methods for measurement of levels of criminal activity throughout the country.
Please address the following:
1. Select (2) separate offenses (i.e. burglary, assault, rape, arson) and describe how each offense is measured according to the methods incorporated by BOTH the UCR AND NCVS.
2. What are the benefits and drawbacks of measurement used by BOTH the UCR and NCVS for EACH offense. (i.e. validity, hierarchy rule, NIBRS)
3. Conclude with your opinion as to which source (UCR vs. NCVS) provides the MOST ACCURATE accounting of level of criminal activity for EACH offense. (NO PERSONALIZING LANGUAGE)
1. 5 Typed Pages
2. Use at least (3) outside peer reviewed sources
3. Use In-text citations
4. APA Format
5. Reference List
6. Sources: To be derived from government databases (i.e. BJS (for NCVS), UCR)