Ritically evaluate Sens explanation of the great bengal famine
economic essay concerning the bengal famine. sens entitlement theory and de waal critique.
Module suggested readings it is fine if you do not use all of these, but it may help that they are recommended.
Amartya Sen, Starvation and exchange entitlements: a general approach and its application to the great bengal famine Cambridge journal of economics, vol 1, 33-60, March 1977
2. S.R. Osmani The entitlement approach to famine: an assesmentin k. basu, p. pattanaik and k. suzumura choice, welfare and development: a festscrift in honour of amartya k Sen, pp 253-94. Oxford: clarendon press, 1995
3. Alex de Waal, A reassessment of entitlement theory in the light of recent famines in Africa, Development and Change, 21, 469-90 (1990).
4. Famine that Kills: Darfur, Sudan, 1984-85, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989.
5. Alex de Waal, Famine mortality: a case study of Darfur, Sudan 1984-5, Population Studies, 43, 5-24 (1989).
6. Alex de Waal and Joseph Tumushabe, HIV/AIDS and food security in Africa: A report for DflD [South Africa], February 2003. Available from: P227_AIDS_Food_Security.pdf.
7. Alex de Waal and Alan Whiteside, New variant famine”: AIDS and the food crisis in southern Africa, The Lancet, 362 (9391): 1234-37 (11 October 2003).
8. J Corbet, Famine and household coping strategies, World Development, 16(9), 1099-1112, 1988. Also available in J. Dreze (ed.)The Economics of Famine.
9. Peter Walker, Famine Early Warning Systems: Victims and Destitution, Earthscan, London, 1989, chapter 3.
10. Susanna Davies, Are coping straregies a cop out?, IDS Bulletin, 24 (4), 60-72, 1993.
11. Susanna Davies, Adaptable Livelihoods: Coping with Food Insecurity in the Malian Sahel, Macmillan, London, 1996.
12. Amartya Sen, War and famines: on divisions and incentivesdiscussion paper no 33, development ecnomics research programme, suntory-toyota international centre for economis and related disciplines, london school of economics, october 1991. later published in w. isard and c. anderson. economics of arms reduction and the peace process, elsevier science publishers, 1992
13. j. macrae and a. zwi, war and hunger: rethinking international responses to complex emergencies