Rt and Visual Perception (For design student)
This paper is for Art and Visual Perception class.
For this paper, Take a logo , that is, the current identifying symbol of a current company, business, or organization, large or small (I got Google Chrome logo”). Explore its development from Conception”
(1) Visual Perception
1) Make a through statement using element(Book : Art and Visual Perception, Arnheim) and Laws of Visual perception (Gestalt Theory) relating to your Logo/Symbol : This statement can be aided by using visual to show aspects of at lead 5 of the 10 Arnheim elements which you feel are dominate in this logo. (i.e. balance, dynamic, etc)
Using the terms of Arnheims theory and concepts of visual perception: Describe as many aspects of the individual elements of visual perception as you can relating to logo.
(2) Symbolic meaning:
Both cross-culturally, and archetypal, discuss symbolically the individual graphic/geometric components. Start by looking in dictionary of symbols.
RELATE DIRECTLY TO THE LOGO (THE SYMBOL)& THE COMPANY(THE IDENTITY/THE BRAND/ ITS MISSION/ ITS PRODUCT) WHEN YOU DISCUSS SYMBOLIC INFORMATION
(i.e this logo a circle : one definition of circle in clouds Wholewhich if you understand the identity of this company, they are seeking a similar identity because…….. it is a global company……)
Explain why you think this particular symbolic meaning is significant to the logo/company.
Do not list all the meanings. EXPLAIN SPECIFIC POINTS relevant to Companys IDENTITY.
DO NOT LIST EVERYTHING YOU FIND : List or downloading information means loos of credit.
(3) WHAT IS THIS COMPANY ABOUT & WHAT WERE THE STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT OF THE LOGO:
How was this logo conceived? What process did the logo go through from original concept to current from? Show visually if it went through changes a Again, this does not need to have every detail… just do an overview.
(DO NOT DOWNLOAD info into this paper. use YOUR OWN WORDS)
(4) CONCLUSION : Bring together all the information you have gathered above (not short and general, but can be a couple paragraphs or more).
Write a concluding statement which should at least include:
a. As a designer (visual communicator), do you think this logo is successful from the data you have gathered, your visual analysis, your point of view? Is the company successful in communicating it identity, thus, its product, to its audience?
b. Taking the entire process into account, do you feel this logo is representative of more than its Surfaceimpression? Does it have a deeper meaning than A signthus, making it archetypal?
c. DISCUSS as whole how you Arnheim ideas, symbolic observations and Company identity relate.
1. VISUAL PERCEPTION not just a visual description.
2. SYMBOLIC related meaning,
3. OVERVIEW: Creative process/stages of development/Company Overview
4. CONCLUSION: Synthesis of all discussion
The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images: Taschen Book
An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Traditional symbols, J.C. Cooper
Dictionary of Symbols, Carl G. Liungman
For more information, I will attach the file, this Syllabus and My idea concept(elements).
My teacher is very sensitive. Please use the suggested reference books.
If you do not find the book, please let me know.