Ulture, Politics, and GlobalizationCritical Review of films
Critical Review of Film(s):
Choose one or more films from the list below and write a critical review paper on how the themes from this/these film(s) overlap with the themes discussed in course readings, lectures and tutorials. Be attentive to possible orientalist discourses, questions of spatial and economic inequality in an increasingly interconnected world, the role of Culture(s) and everyday power struggles, and how different scapes come together in a single or overlapping narratives.
(1) Slumdog Millionaire (2008, Directed by Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan)
(2) Babel (2006, Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)
(3) Amreeka (2009, Directed by Cherien Dabis)
(4) Heaven on Earth (2008, Directed by Deepa Mehta)
(5) Vers le Sud / a?Heading Southa? (2005, Directed by Laurent Cantet)
These films are to be viewed at your own time. You can borrow them from a private video library.
The essays should be 3 pages excluding cover page and bibliography, at least 3 academic references, excluding films.
Choose at least one out of 5 movies listed and write a critical review piece of how the themes from the film speak to the themes from the course lectures. Be critical of the use of cultural categories and draw on readings and lectures.